Cookies, cupcakes, and pie – oh my! As a person who does not particularly enjoy cake, dessert at a wedding is often a disappointing affair. But, what if the whole reception was based on dessert, rather than serving a meal? Brittany and Josh did just that at their recent Binghamton, NY wedding, and it was a hit.
They chose desserts that were family favorites: apple and cherry pie, cupcakes, cookies, and of course a small wedding cake to cut, and then they set up stations where guests could help themselves.
The signs were very simple but super cute.
This is brilliant for several reasons:
1. This type of dessert reception is easy to tailor to any budget – and more unique than a traditional dinner. Plus, who doesn’t love dessert?
2. If you are planning an evening wedding, a dessert reception makes perfect sense as guests will want to eat before they come to the ceremony.
3. It is brilliant because it is personal. These were their favorite desserts, which helps you feel more intimate with the bride and groom and their families.
4. It is easy to make the reception feel more casual in this type of setting.
5. If you have a lot of local relatives who want to help, they can bake their favorite desserts (make sure this is ok with your venue/caterer)
If you have never thought about having a dessert reception before, we think this is a very classy twist on a traditional reception. Some other ideas we had to make it your own:
1. Add a coffee bar and a barista where guests can add liqueur to their coffees or flavored syrups. Perfect for dessert pairing and a version of an open bar that is much more affordable. My husband would have loved this at our own reception.
3. Have some savory appetizers or snacks to pair with all this sweet stuff
4. Not into coffee? Offer a wine bar that matches wine choices with the desserts folks choose.
5. Consider ice cream. It’s my favorite.
A dessert reception is a great way to keep your wedding budget reasonable and still offer your guests something unique and classy. We gave this one two big thumbs up for originality and creativity. Have your own ideas for a great dessert reception? Leave a comment and let us know!
We’ve been told that pink is the sweet side of red, and after sharing in Marisa and Harley’s wedding with pink accent colors, we are inclined to agree. Here are some highlights of their special day.
Cheers to you, Marisa and Harley. We are so honored to have been able to share with you your special day, may your journey together take you through the sweeter side of life.
Sheldrake Point Vineyards is located in Ovid, NY, on the shores of Cayuga Lake. What a lovely backdrop for Rachel and Mike’s engagement session. Here is just a quick peek at some of our favorite portraits.
Fun Fact: Sheldrake Point was voted NY State’s Winery of the year in 2009 and 2010.
What a cute save the date card this would be!
Congratulations on your engagement Rachel and Mike. We look forward to your wedding next year!
This past weekend we had the pleasure of photographing Stacie and Scott as they vowed to love each other as husband and wife. What beautiful fall colors they chose for their autumn wedding. Here’s a sneak peek of their pictures, but of course there will be more to come!
This is at the Owego Treadway Inn. Its truly gorgeous in autumn.
Congratulations Stacie and Scott! Thanks for including us in on your special day.